We are so very grateful At Laser Dentistry of North Jersey we will soon be celebrating our 25th Anniversary.…
Getting children to brush better
You may be surprise to hear that being a dentist does not make it easier for me to get my kids to brush better – but here are a few tips I use that help develop children’s oral health habits.
1. Buy them a simple spinning brush at the grocery store- many are under $10, and some even have timers.
2. Use an egg timer to ensure they brush for the whole 2 minutes – it will seem like a lifetime to them.
3. Use Listerine’s Agent Cool Blue before they brush to show what has built up on their teeth – or afterwards, to show what they have been missing. Once their technique is better, continue to use it as an occasional test and review.
4. Have Mom or Dad re-brush all children’s teeth once a day until they are seven years old.
5. Start teaching kids to use floss and a Waterpik as young as possible.
6. For very small children, use fluoride-free toothpaste until they are capable of spitting it out instead of swallowing it. You can usually find fluoride-free options in the regular toothpaste aisle at the store.
7. Every child should have a dental exam by the age of 3 years old.